How Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust achieved rapid benefits realisation through its fast implementation of Sunrise EPR
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust provides hospital-based services from three main sites: the Alexandra Hospital, Kidderminster Hospital and Treatment Centre, and Worcestershire Royal Hospital. In 2021–22, these organisations provided care to more than 250,000 patients—equal to 40% of Worcestershire’s population.
The trust, which was categorised as “Group 0” under the frontline digitisation programme embarked on its digital transformation journey through the implementation of Altera Digital Health’s Sunrise electronic patient record (EPR) system in March 2023. Now live across all 56 inpatient wards, the ambitious project saw the trust quickly accelerate its digital maturity, developing a highly configured system that is bespoke to the trust’s needs, without needing national funding.
Stuart Cooper, EPR Programme Director at the trust, said, “The ability to configure the EPR meant the team could hit the ground running with a system that fit their clinical needs and resulted in a smooth digital transition for users.”
- Streamlined clinical workflows
- Improved visibility of patient data and risk assessments improving safety
- Time released back to clinicians
- More than 27,000 documents created per day on Sunrise
- An affordable EPR rollout, using local budgets to accelerate digital maturity and tailored to meet the trust’s key priorities